Speed and distance


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Minot, North Dakota - First of all, if you haven't yet, scroll down and check out the photos I just posted.

Second, I will admit that when several people told me North Dakota is "beautiful," I took it with a grain of salt. But so far, I have to admit that they're right. It somehow manages to come across as more attractive than Montana, even though it's largely the same landscape. For one thing, I'm no longer paralleling the railroad tracks, which means no more grain elevators everywhere - which, though interesting to look at, are not what I'd call picturesque.

Also, there seems to be more variety to the landscape. It's actually quite hilly, with gentle undulations spreading across the landscape in every direction. There seem to be more blazing yellow fields of wheat to set off the green of the landscape. And there have been some wonderful stretches of road along the top of the bluffs over Lake Sakakawea (aka Sacagawea, they just spell it differently here) that made me feel like I was zooming along highway 1 overlooking the blue of the Pacific.

There have also been some really, really flat parts, of course, and some really, really straight parts. Which is part of why I've been making such great time lately.

For those wondering, with a flat road and minimal wind, I've been going at 16 mph or so; with the wind at my back, 18 or more. With the wind howling in my face in Montana I was down to 12 mph on some stretches. As I've been riding at least 6 hours a day, the miles are starting to add up; I've gone around 1,650 at last count. That includes two days (out of the last four, in fact) where I went over 130 miles.

This is all much faster than I expected, to be honest, which is why I'm hoping to slow myself down, at least a bit. I'm taking a day off here in Minot, which at 40,000 people is actually the largest town I've been through yet, though it sems to be largely a depressing maze of box stores and strip malls. I'll be in Fargo in three to four days and may take another day off then. And I've got friends and relatives to visit in Minnesota and/or Illinois and/or Indiana and/or Ohio, so there are plenty of chances to stop and chill out along the way.

I'm trying not to rush things, but at the same time the sooner I get to Bar Harbor (I estimate mid-August at the rate I'm going) the more options I have for what I want to do after that, as far as maybe continuing into Canada, or just riding to Massachusetts, or just getting back to Alaska early. We'll see. I have to kep reminding myself that this trip is about the journey, not the destination.


5 Responses to “Speed and distance”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Happy first day of the Tour de France! I figured that you might be interested, as a cyclist, to know that after the Prologue there are three Americans in the top 10 (George Hincapie is only .73 sec back from the leader). So keep the peloton in mind for the next 23 days as you ride and take inspiration (not the doping scandal part though). . .

    . . . can't wait for you to get to MN! I'm emailing you my contact info, etc.

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    I just have so many questions about this whole thing. Where are you sleeping? Where do you eat? WHAT do you eat? Do you just troll along the highway? Does the bike have a little bell on it?

    This is, as I'm sure you know, a book, my friend.

  3. Anonymous Anonymous 

    And the bathroom. Where do you go to the bathroom? Do you just... let go? What about #2?

    I mean, that would have never occured to me back when I was tooling around on my pink Huffy with the banana seat.

  4. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Tom,

    E and I are in Minneapolis (July 5) so call us. I emailed our new phone number to you and Mary, so call her if you don't have it. We'll be in Minneapolis for two days before moving on to Chicago.

    Dillon

  5. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Bah' Hahbah' by mid-August? You sure there isn't a motor on that bike somewhere? Heh heh heh...

    And MB raises a good question - how and where exactly do you poo?

    Well, if you happen to be on your way back from Maine, or Nova Scotia in late August I'm probably gonna be in CT @ the 3rd week in August so maybe I can catch up witchya at your parents' house or someplace.

    "And the wheels keep rollin'. And another milepost gone..."

    Sad whale, baby.

    - El Jefe

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

I'm Tom Moran, a bicyclist from Fairbanks, Alaska. I'm spending the summer of 2006 riding from Anacortes, Wash., to Bar Harbor, Maine.

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3