Continuing photo problems


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Tonasket, Wash. - it appears this particular library does not allow me to download photos from digital cameras. I suppose its the price I pay for scoring instant, free internet access at an institution 2,500 miles from home.

The last couple of days have been one funny name after another. I spent last night in Twisp, Wash. (never did figure out where the name comes from, but it sure is fun to say) and spent most of this morning struggling over Loup Loup Pass, which sounds like it belongs in Australia somewhere.

Twisp was wonderful, chiefly because the Eastern Cascades lived up to their reputation as a high desert. My tent, foam pad, clothing, etc. had been absolutely soaked through after two days of rain, but Twisp was basking in a day of marvelous sunshine. I was able to dry out everything in an hour, and, even better, I stayed at a campsite (well, actually the back lawn of a motel) with showers! Ahh, hygiene, how I have missed you. And I even did laundry.

The scenery around here continued to amaze me. I think every day of this trip I have seen a spot and decided, "that must be the prettiest spot on earth." I've zipped through verdant valleys and absentmindedly considered buying land, building a house and spending the rest of my days sitting on the porch, penning pastorals about the landscape. Not a very rational thought, but then it was just an idle notion.

The environment changed yet again after Loup Loup Pass - from pine forest to bare ground and sagebrush. I gather this area gets less rain than L.A., which explains why it looks a lot more like New Mexico than any conception I ever had of Washington State. It's still beautiful, but it's also starting to look a little barren and run-down.

All of this has made today a good day for covering a lot of ground - I've gone about 60 miles and its only 2:30 p.m. Another 20 or 30 (over another giant pass, unfortunately) and I'll settle in for the night. I'm crossing my fingers the next place has showers, or at least a lake to jump in.


3 Responses to “Continuing photo problems”

  1. Blogger Mary 

    Soory about the technical hitch. All blog comments should be working properly now, and you can post anonymously if you like (in other words, you don't need a Blogger account). If a lot of spam comments start showing up, I may turn on the word verification.

    Your comments also will be forwarded to Tom's e-mail automatically.

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Tom,

    We'll see if this message gets through. Good to hear from you for Father's day. Sounds like a great adventure. Your Thai recipe was interesting.

    Dad

  3. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Heh.
    You said "twisp."

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

I'm Tom Moran, a bicyclist from Fairbanks, Alaska. I'm spending the summer of 2006 riding from Anacortes, Wash., to Bar Harbor, Maine.

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3