Photos - the last roundup


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Hudson, MA - Nova Scotia libraries, it turned out, were not all that useful in terms of giving me USB ports so I could post photos. Darn unfriendly of them. (And don't even get me started on the Digby library, where access was free unless you weren't Canadian, in which case it was $2 for half an hour.) Anyway, now that I'm home in the land of unfettered internet access, I get to post the final set of primo pix from the trip.

Halifax, Nova Scotia - This one's for all you fans of the Titanic movie out there. (Go on, admit it. There's no shame.) Jim Cameron lifted "Jack Dawson," the name of Leo's character in the film, from an actual Titanic victim; I think the real guy worked in the engine room. Anyway, after the movie came out, lots of teary-eyed teenage girls started leaving flowers and such at J. Dawson's grave, one of a few hundred uniform Titanic headstones in a cemetery on the outskirts of Halifax. As you can see, a few of them are still doing it nine years later.

Halifax, Nova Scotia - The CBC used to have a TV show called "Theodore Tugboat," sort of the nautical equivalent of Thomas the Tank Engine. So some enterpising soul built a full-size replica of the character and gives Halifax harbor tours on it. It's very cute, but when you see a giant face - even an innocent smiley one - coming at you out of the harbor mist at you, it's also invariably a bit disturbing.


South Shore, Nova Scotia - just a little scenery for you. Tell me that ain't a calendar photo.
Nova Scotia - They really like Kit Kats up there: hey have caramel ones, white chocolate ones, peanut butter ones, big ones, giant ones, and this novel creation. Better than it sounds, actually, though I preferred the yummy array of Cadbury bars you can get up there but not in the USA.
Long Island, Nova Scotia - "Balancing Rock" is a maybe 20-foot tall hunk of basalt precariously perched along the shore of this rugged and scenic island. It's quite a sight, but the shoreline itself, composed of eroding basalt columns rising straight out of the surf to the treeline, is just as remarkable to look at.
Off Camden, Maine - The windjammer Angelique, where my father and I were among about 25 passengers for a sailing tour of Penobscot Bay.


Off of Camden, Maine - My dad and I on board the Angelique, cruising through somewhere in Penobscot Bay. The scenery was stunning, and gave me a much better picture of Maine then the often terrible and crowded roads. You can shove about 10,000 boats into Penobscot Bay (in fact, I suppose they have) and it still wouldn't constitute a crowd.
Lisbon Falls, Maine - Moxie was the most popular soft drink in the US for 40 years, even though it tastes like Diet Coke mixed with cough syrup. You can still get it these days on the East Coast, especially in Maine, where the stuff was invented. And the small town of Lisbon Falls is the epicenter of it all, home of (I presume) the world's only Moxie gift shop. Which was closed when I got there. Dammit.
Tyngsborough, Massachusetts - Getting near the end of the road for Ganesh and I. Lord knows how many times I've passed "Welcome to Massachusetts" signs in my lifetime, but never under these circumstances.
Bolton, Mass. - I noticed this less than 10 miles from home. Proof that you don't have to go far to find roadside oddities. Don't know if I ever could have spotted it from a car, though.

Hudson, MA - Me steaming up the driveway of my parents' house with 6,100 miles behind me and about 10 feet to go. (Note: Ya got me. This photo was in fact posed.)


0 Responses to “Photos - the last roundup”

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

I'm Tom Moran, a bicyclist from Fairbanks, Alaska. I'm spending the summer of 2006 riding from Anacortes, Wash., to Bar Harbor, Maine.

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3