Hot Hot Heat


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Fulton, NY - I've been getting a lot of incredulous stares today.
It's not that I'm riding backwards, or standing on the seat, or wearing a tutu. It's that, with the temperature at something over 100 and the humidity making it even nastier, I'm riding at all. But here I am, putting in another roughly 100-mile day through the beautiful, if wilting, countryside of central New York.
Why the heck am I doing this?
Well, for starters, my other options are limited. I could hang around at a campground and sweat all day. I could plop down $50 for a hotel room and sit around watching daytime TV.
Or, I can rise above it and rip down the road, with the reward being a cool wind in my face. In fact, in weather like this, the only time I actually feel comfortable is when I'm on the bike; after all, I'm creating my own breeze. It's when I stop and get off that I start to sweat and suddenly feel lethargy creeping in.
So I'm soldiering on. Fortunately, I'm in the vicinity of Lake Ontario, so whichever campsite I stay at tonight will have a beach and, if I'm lucky, a lake breeze. If tonight is anything like last night, I may have to hop out of my tent at about 2 a.m. and take a dip. As much as I've complained about noisy neighbors at campsites, their ability to keep me awake pales before 80-degree temperatures at midnight.
Man, there are times when I really miss Alaska.
P.S. Relax, Mom and Dad, I'm drinking plenty of fluids. An ungodly amount, in fact.


3 Responses to “Hot Hot Heat”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    ungodly amounts of fluids are a good thing! FCM

  2. Blogger Clair 

    I'd pay good money to see you bike through central New York wearing a tutu. A nice, frilly pink one.

  3. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Well, Ta-Tom, just remember, when the heat gets to be too much-- pain don't hurt.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

I'm Tom Moran, a bicyclist from Fairbanks, Alaska. I'm spending the summer of 2006 riding from Anacortes, Wash., to Bar Harbor, Maine.

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3