Home turf


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Conway, New Hampshire - I can tell I'm back in New England. All of the mountains and trees look somehow familiar. People all around me are wearing Red Sox stuff. And I'm start to recognize the chain stores! Shaw's Supermarkets ... Brooks Pharmacy ... Dunkin Donuts. Ooh, Dunkin Donuts.
As you can see, I've made a lot of progress since my last post. I intended to post sooner, but the quaint little libraries that pepper Vermont happen to be afflicted with quaint little hours too, so I could never actually locate an open one.
Anyway, I have spent the last few days riding through what can only be called Tourist Country. First came the Adirondacks in New York. I was actually very disappointed in the Adirondacks, but I think this is mainly because its the sort of region that can't be appreciated from the road. There were very few scenic views, private properties lined all of the lakeshores, and the towns were all wall-to-wall souvenir shops and overpriced restaurants. The few glimpes I had of the distant masses of mountains towering over lakes were impressive, and I expect if I had gotten into the woods I woudl have found the region enthralling. But, alas, I was chained to the pavement.
After a visit to Fort Ticonderoga and a cool little chain-ferry ride across Lake Champlain, I pulled into Vermont two days ago. One of the major reasons I chose a northern route is because I wanted to end up in New England, and Vermont swiftly reminded me of why. As soon as you enter the state, everything seems more verdant. Rushing rivers ran beside the roads for most of the route while there is a continuous backdrop of forested mountains in view from pretty much the entire breadth of the state. Hills (though often painfully steep) afford you reguar views in every direction. The towns are lovely (if cutesy), and everything simply feels fresh and clear. I only spent 24 hours there, but it was one of the highlights of the trip.
New Hampshire has been great as well. Not quite as cutie-pie, and really, really crowded (well, it is a Saturday in August,) but the scenery has been even better. This morning I ascended Kancamagus Pass, basically the spine of the Appalachians, and enjoyed views of distant rounded peaks stretching for miles in every direction. The White Mountains lack the ferocity of the Rockies or the scale of the Cascades, but in terms of sheer attractiveness they rival both.
The downside to this is that half of New England seems to be here right now. There's a traffic jam stretching for miles in every direction out of Conway, which seems to be the epicenter of this madness. I'm heading east into Maine after this, and hoping things calm down a bit-and that the campsites get a little less exorbitant. And in 2 1/2 days, I'll be done! (Sort of - I'm still debating a loop through Nova Scotia, and I will almost certainly bike south from Bar Harbor to my parents' home in Massachusetts to end the trip.)


7 Responses to “Home turf”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Sad that it's almost over? Sounds like a 99 celebration to me!!!FCM

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Hey Tom -

    You're almost done (maybe you are done by the time I'm writing this). Congratulations! I never doubted you would do it, and in much less time than I did. Be sure to post your stats at the end - miles, days, weight lost, etc.

    On the last day of my trip I wanted desperately to see my friends and relatives, but the next day I wanted desperately to turn around and do the whole thing again. It had become a way of life, and everything that came across the US with you, including your worn out clothes, plastic bags, etc., become very hard to part with. It was also hard not to be spending most of the day in vigorous physical activity.

    Thanks again for taking me and others along on your adventure.

    - Gretta

  3. Blogger Clair 

    Congratulations, Tom, and thanks for letting us come on this journey with you. Ride safely. And watch out for those Massachusetts roadway projects!

  4. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Did the Adirondacks have enormous wooden chairs littering the road? That would be awesome.

    Have you run into an Price Choppers yet? Price Choppers rule. I enjoyed Vermont when I was in school at Bennington. My favorite aspect was Bucks Gun's and Bait Shoppe.

  5. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Hi Tom! Congratulations. While you are trekking eastward, I am westernmost. Spent the last two days painting watercolour sketches and photographing architecture in Berkeley. Also: I've found that cycling uphill in San Francisco will get you in shape in a hurry! Can't wait to trade stories when you stop in Denver! Best Chris

  6. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Hi Tom - I've been following the trip as Awesome Bikeman covers the US of A in under two months! Have much enjoyed your pictures and descriptions.
    We had a sort of reunion of the Moran side of the family at Breezy on August 5; it was nice but a little sad with Grandma Marie not there. Maybe we will get to see you while you are in the East (or at least maybe I will; R. & M. will be in China for two weeks). Carry on and keep hydrated!

  7. Anonymous Anonymous 

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

I'm Tom Moran, a bicyclist from Fairbanks, Alaska. I'm spending the summer of 2006 riding from Anacortes, Wash., to Bar Harbor, Maine.

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3