My kinda town


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Minneapolis, Minnesota - This isn't something I ever expected to say, but I'd like to see more of Wisconsin.
It took me entirely by surprise: after days of flat roads and unremarkable vistas, suddenly the land began to pitch and roll. Intimidating hills began to appear, and when I topped them, I discovered panoramic views of farmlands and gentle woods that semmed to stretch for miles, dissected by sinuous country lanes. Far from the flat Midwest, it reminded me more than a little of my native New England.
And the exciting change in scenery continued as I crossed the border back into Minnesota, too. Riding had become a lot harder, but it had also gotten a lot more fun.
That wasn't the only pleasant surprise I've been hit with in the last few days. on Tuesday afternoon, I took the plunge and started biking headfirst into my first major urban area of this trip: The Twin Cities. I expected an asphalt nightmare of dangerous roads and unyielding traffic, foreign territory where my bike could find no purchase.
As it turns out, that wasn't the case at all. Outside of a few places in Europe, Minneapolis is the most bike-friendly city I've ever visited. Bikers are everywhere. Drivers and courteous. Bike lanes, separated paths and greenways crisscross the whole urban area, even the downtown core. Far from frightening, biking here has proven wonderful fun.
And I've also been readily impressed with the city in general. It certainly helps that I've been staying with friends, but notwithstanding their hospitality and company its still been a great place to hang out. There's been an avant-garde building boom here the last few years, with massive glass-and-steel constructs like the new city library and the Walker Art Center, another wacky edifice from Frank Gehry, dotting the cityscape. They've got a world-class art museum with free admission, fun and vibrant neighborhoods filled with young people and scores of ethnic restaurants, and upper-deck seats for Twins games cost $6. It's not a place I think would ever be on my must-see list for tourism, but it's one of the most all-around livable cities I've seen for a long time. Especially if you prefer getting around on two wheels.
I'll be pushing off in the morning, threading my way back through the eastern suburbs and onto the open road. It's tough leaving so soon, but I know this is the first of several cities I'll be making stops in over the next few weeks, and I have a palpable fear of getting too bogged down. So onward it is, to begin the second half (well, more or less) of my journey in earnest.


2 Responses to “My kinda town”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    What a ride. You have a cousin in Wisconsin. Maybe next time!. Keep cool--see you Love,FCM

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    Thanks for the wine! It was a nice suprise to come home to between jobs this afternoon (not that I drank it then). I too occasionally pick my wine by interesting label or cool sounding name, in fact that's how I discovered one of my favorites, Little Penguin. I take it by lack of a phone call this morning, that you found your way through St. Paul and back to your trail ok. It was great seeing you. Careful in the heat the next few days.

    Randomly- I was reading the paper this morning and saw this article about the old Sears building we passed on the way to the Twins game.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

I'm Tom Moran, a bicyclist from Fairbanks, Alaska. I'm spending the summer of 2006 riding from Anacortes, Wash., to Bar Harbor, Maine.

Previous posts

Archives

Links


ATOM 0.3